While Joe and Anthony Russo really, really, really want you to avoid any Avengers: Endgame spoilers, the consumer marketplace is sometimes at odds with the ideal movie-going experience.
Case in point, Monday’s release of images and information about LEGO’s Marvel Super Heroes Avengers: Endgame playsets, which will go on sale today - weeks before the movie opens in some international markets on April 24 and in North America on April 26.
Now if you’d like to avoid any possible potential spoilers the toysets may flirt with, now’s the time to click on out. But since LEGO with no doubt the cooperation of Disney and Marvel Studios decided to put both the toys and the announcement out there now, ours not to reason why, so here’s our take on what’s interesting about the toys.
And while you mull over if you want to continue reading, for the record, while there is certainly creative license involved with LEGO ‘adapting’ movies into buildable toys, we went back and checked last year’s Avengers: Infinity War LEGO offerings, and in terms of reflecting the film’s set pieces, they were pretty darn accurate. There wasn’t any playset that wasn’t pulled pretty straightforwardly from the film.
So with that all said. What did we learn?
LEGO is releasing five sets:
Captain America: Outriders Attack
War Machine Buster
Iron Man Hall of Armor
Avengers Ultimate Quinjet
Avengers Compound Battle
What’s worth noticing?
Almost all of the sets include Outrider figures - Thanos’ multiple-armed, cannon-fodder foot soldiers as seen in Infinity War’s Battle of Wakanda.
Marvel Studios loves their disposable enemies that try to overwhelm the Avengers by sheer numbers (Ultrons, Chitauri) and can be killed without ethical pause, and the Outriders presence throughout the playsets doesn’t just suggest their return, but seems to indicate Thanos may also be on the offensive in Endgame, sending them after the Avengers on their own home turfs.
The one playset that does not include Outrider figures interestingly includes two Chitauri figures, last briefly seen guarding a captive Nebula on Thanos' ship in Infinity War, although they're best-known for the Attack on New York in Avengers. They’re included in the Ultimate Quinjet playset. Does this indicate action set during the Attack on New York? Well, early set photos also suggested Endgame was returning to that scene, so that seems like a logical conclusion.
But on the potential time travel front, perhaps the most curious playset is the Iron Man Hall of Armor, curious because the Hall of Armors was blown up real good in Iron Man 3.
Now of course Tony could have rebuilt the Hall, but a deep dive into the set reveals a couple of interesting details. Check out the computer monitors that come with the set.
That’s a mention of J.A.R.V.I.S. on the right hand screen (out of the picture since Age of Ultron) and that’s LEGO Agent Coulson whose call is being blocked towards the middle, who of course died (as far as Tony knows) in The Avengers.
The set also includes a large scale “Igor Suit mech” which appeared in Iron Man 3 and seemed to be an early version of the Hulkbuster armor, but it also includes an Iron Man MK 50 armor, which is Tony’s newest armor from Infinity War.
Now the timelines are hard to reconcile - Coulson's death in Avengers was part of the events of which led to Tony’s PTSD in Iron Man 3 and building of all the various armors, but at face value the set seems to suggest Tony maybe going to his own past to revisit the Hall, somewhere right before The Avengers or between it and Iron Man 3, with Outriders perhaps in pursuit.
And speaking of armors, we’ve seen War Machine in a white (Quantum Realm?) uniform version of his armor in the last trailer, but it didn’t indicate a giant-Hulkbuster like version suggested by the War Machine Buster set.
Finally, the Avengers Compound Battle set is noteworthy as it features the Avengers defending their HQ from Thanos and Outriders. Whether this actually plays out in Endgame in literal fashion to be seen, but again it suggests a Thanos on the offensive, rather than on the defensive from the Avengers, as much as a LEGO toy could, anyway.
Interestingly, Thanos is given a two-sided battle axe and while it’s not conclusive from the images, he doesn’t appear to be wielding all six Infinity Stones. It's hard to tell but the only visible stones (which are very prominent) are the Time (green) and Power (purple) Stones.
Make of all of that what you will.
All of the 20 images can you found here and LEGO’s full press release follows below.
76123 – LEGO® MarvelTM Super Heroes Captain America: Outriders Attack
167 pieces | Age 6+
Available April 1st
Build Captain America’s bike and attack the Outriders!
Take on 3 Outriders with Captain America’s bike! Fight back with the Captain America shield shooters.
Then jump out of the cockpit, detach the blasters, and battle those enemy Outriders one on one!
• This Captain America playset includes 4 Marvel Universe minifigures: Captain America and 3 Outriders.
• Captain America’s bike features a minifigure cockpit, 2 Captain America shield shooters, front wheel with detachable non-shooting blasters, attachment points for minifigures, fold-down bike stand, headlight element and an exhaust flame element.
• Detach the blasters and put them in Captain America's hands ready for battle and imaginative play.
• This superhero playset includes Captain America’s new-for-March-2019 helmet element and Avengers team suit decoration.
• Recreate thrilling action from the Marvel Avengers movies with this awesome LEGO® construction toy.
• Captain America’s vehicle measures over 2” (7cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
76124 – LEGO® MarvelTM Super Heroes War Machine Buster
362 pieces | Age 7+
Available April 1st
Overpower the Outriders with the War Machine Buster mech model!
Emergency! Ant-Man is under attack by the dangerous Outriders. Fly to the rescue with the mighty War Machine Buster! Fire the 6-stud rapid shooter and the flick missiles. Grab an Outrider with the massive mech’s powerful hands. Then detach the stud-shooting cannons and battle the enemy on the ground with War Machine!
• This buildable superhero playset includes 4 Marvel Universe minifigures: War Machine, Ant-Man and 2 Outriders.
• War Machine Buster mech features an opening minifigure cockpit, 6-stud rapid shooter, 2 detachable stud-shooting cannons, 2 flick missiles, posable arms and legs, gripping hands and an opening storage compartment for extra ammo.
• Detach the stud-shooting cannons and place in the War Machine minifigure's hands and on his shoulder.
• The War Machine and Ant-Man minifigures in this LEGO® building set for kids feature new-for-March-2019 Avengers team suit decoration.
• Recreate thrilling action from the Marvel Avengers movies with this creative construction toy.
• War Machine Buster mech measures over 6” (17cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
76125 – LEGO® MarvelTM Super Heroes Iron Man Hall of Armor
524 pieces | Age 7+
Available April 1st
Build an Iron Man lab and test different Iron Man armored suits!
Join Tony Stark in the Iron Man Hall of Armor and experiment with new tech! Make a smoothie in the kitchen. Work at the desk and get suited up using the robotic arms. Lift heavy objects in the Iron Man lab wearing the massive Igor Suit. And if your experiments go wrong, get the robot to put out fires with the fire extinguisher. But watch out—an Outrider is trying to break in so grab a weapon and capture thisdangerous invader! You can rebuild this awesome Hall of Armor in loads of different ways, so the action never stops!
• Includes 5 Marvel Universe minifigures: Iron Man MK 1, Iron Man MK 5, Iron Man MK 41, Iron Man MK 50 and an Outrider.
• This buildable superhero toy features an Iron Man lab with detachable modules that can be combined and stacked in many different ways to create alternative play experiences.
• Iron Man lab includes: a rotating podium with 2 posable robotic arms; desk with translucent-blue screen, minifigure chair and cup elements; kitchen module with a buildable smoothie maker and cup element; weapon storage module with a stud shooter, power-up jetpack and energy beam element for the minifigures; tool storage module with a wrench; modules to store Iron Man suits; radar dish; safety barrier elements; fire extinguisher and 2 flame elements.
• Connect modules into a circle to create a screen room or a prison for the bad guys.
• This superhero playset also includes an Igor Suit mech, featuring an opening minifigure cockpit and posable arms and legs, and a posable robot on wheels for imaginative play.
• Accessory elements include Tony Stark face and hair elements to attach to the Iron Man suit minifigures.
• Iron Man MK 1, Iron Man MK 5 and Iron Man MK 41 minifigures are new for March 2019.
• Recreate exciting action from the Marvel Avengers movies with this cool LEGO® building set for kids.
• Iron Man lab measures over 5” (13cm) high, 13” (35cm) wide and 6” (17cm) deep with modules in standard formation.
• Igor Suit measures over 3” (9cm) high, 1” (5cm) long and 3” (9cm) wide.
76126 – LEGO® MarvelTM Super Heroes Avengers Ultimate Quinjet
838 pieces | Age 8+
Available April 1st
Create the Ultimate Quinjet and battle the Avengers’ enemies!
Get set for battle against the Chitauri with the Avengers Ultimate Quinjet! Prepare the weapons with Rocket and Thor in the passenger compartment. Jump in the cockpit with Black Widow and take off. Fire the stud shooters and the 6-stud rapid shooter. Make a smooth landing and continue the fight on the wings. Then surprise the enemy with the stud-shooting trike!
• This buildable superhero playset includes 6 new-for-March-2019 Marvel Universe minifigures: Black Widow, Hawkeye, Rocket, Thor and 2 Chitauri.
• The Marvel Ultimate Quinjet model features an opening minifigure cockpit, 2 stud shooters, opening passenger compartment with 2 minifigure seats and weapon racks, opening rear compartment with fold-out 6-stud rapid shooter and trike, adjustable wings and spinning rotors.
• Trike features a minifigure seat and 2 stud shooters.
• Weapons include Black Widow’s 2 energy sticks, Hawkeye’s bow & arrow, Rocket’s gun and Chitauri’s 2 blasters for imaginative play.
• Black Widow, Hawkeye, Rocket and Thor LEGO® minifigures feature new-for-March-2019 Avengers team suit decoration.
• Recreate exciting action from the Marvel Avengers movies with this superhero toy building set.
• Ultimate Quinjet measures over 4” (12cm) high, 15” (40cm) long and 11” (28cm) wide
76131 – LEGO® MarvelTM Super Heroes Avengers Compound Battle
699 pieces | Age 8+
Available April 1st
Construct the awesome Avengers HQ and fend off intruders!
Team up with Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Hulk, Nebula and Ant-Man and defend the Avengers’ compound! Make plans in the office and grab weapons from the table’s secret compartment. Monitor Thanos and the Outrider’s approach to the Avengers HQ with the radar, then speed into action. Activate the rooftop defense system. Target the Outrider with the offroader's dual stud shooter, then launch the Avengers' helicopter and fire its rapid shooter!
• This buildable superhero playset includes 4 Marvel Universe minifigures: Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Nebula and a 4-armed Outrider, plus posable Hulk and Thanos big figures and an Ant-Man microfigure.
• This construction toy features the Avengers compound with a 2-level office building, helipad, garage, plus a helicopter and offroader for creative play.
• The office building features: 2 Avengers ‘A' logo elements on the exterior wall; rotating, tilting spring-loaded shooter on the rooftop; lower level with an entrance, buildable rotating computer and a ‘laser-beam’ safe; and an upper level with a meeting room, table with secret compartment, rotating door leading to the helipad and accessory elements including 3 chairs, 2 guns, 3 cups and a jug.
• The compound also features: a helipad with 2 dual stud shooters and bridge to the office building; garage for the offroader with a ramp, opening barrier and a rotating, tilting radar dish; and tool racks with crowbar, wrench, welder and circular saw elements.
• Helicopter features an opening minifigure cockpit, 2 spinning, tilting rotors and a 6-stud rapid shooter.
• Offroader features a minifigure cockpit and rotating turret with dual stud shooter and standing room for a minifigure.
• Weapons include Nebula's sword and Thanos's buildable, double-sided battle axe.
• Accessory elements include Captain Marvel 10 Power Bursts for imaginative play.
• The Iron Man minifigure and Thanos and Hulk big figures are all new for March 2019, and the Nebula minifigure and Ant-Man microfigure each feature new-for-March-2019 Avengers team suit decoration.
• Recreate exciting scenes from the Marvel Avengers movies with this action-packed superhero toy building set for kids.
• Avengers compound measures over 6” (17cm) high, 11” (29cm) wide and 7” (20cm) deep.
• Helicopter measures over 3” (9cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.