Updated September 8, 2017: Walla Walla, Washington has added new events for its upcoming Adam West Day, a celebration of the actor and Walla Walla native's life and career.
The festivities will now include an appearance by a Batmobile, and a Q&A session with Starring Adam West's director and producer, James Tooley and Ralph Garmin.
Additionally, the city of Walla Walla has unveiled the official poster for the celebration by artist Ruben Procopio.
Original Story: Adam West's birthplace of Walla Walla, Washington will host a celebration of the late actor's life and career on September 19, which would have been West's 89th birthday.
The celebration, dubbed 'Adam West Day,' will include an airing of Starring Adam West, a documentary about the Batman star's life and career, as well as an official lighting of the Bat Signal.
“Adam West is beloved in Walla Walla like few others, and it’s not an exaggeration to say that he was Walla Walla’s favorite son,” said Ron Williams, executive director of Visit Walla Walla. “So it is only natural for the entire community to honor his life together. And in a way that befits the moniker, ‘The town so nice they named it twice,’ Walla Walla is inviting his fans from near and far to come join us in the celebration.”
“This is a community joining together to honor someone who they love and that the residents of this city are quite proud of,” added Jonathan Grant, front office manager at the Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center and a co-organizer of the event. “Frankly, it is something we should have done years ago, but I am excited that we are doing it now.”
Here's a list of planned events:
- Q&A panel at The Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center in downtown Walla Walla with Ruben Procopio, an American animation and comic book artist, animator, and sculptor, who West once called his personal sculptor.
- A showing of the documentary Starring Adam West at the Gesa Power House Theatre in downtown Walla Walla.
- Official lighting of the Bat Signal in the evening.
- Live music and kids activities in the downtown Walla Walla Plaza.
- The Adam West Experience, a joint effort of downtown Walla Walla businesses. Each participating business will display a bat sticker that indicates its involvement, which could include a special, a giveaway, or a drink or food item named in West’s honor. An award will be given to the three downtown businesses wit the best decorations.
Net proceeds from the event will go to Camp Rainbow, an Idaho-based camp for children who are survivors of cancer, or who are undergoing treatment. West was a supporter of the organization prior to his passing.