Official: THE ROCK Not in SHAZAM! Finally ... Confirmation

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson at DC Entertainment Offices
Credit: Dwayne Johnson

Update July 21 2017: Geoff Johns, the chief creative officer of DC co-architect of the DC Extended Universe with Jon Berg, told Yahoo Movies on Thursday that Dwayne Johnson’s Black Adam will be not be in Shazam!

“We haven’t announced any casting yet,” Johns said. “But Dwayne isn’t going to be in this movie. He’s still doing Black Adam, but he won’t be in Shazam!

Johnson and DC will be reportedly develop Black Adam concurrent with Shazam! wih he intent to eventually have them face off onscreen.


Update July 20, 2017: The Hollywood Reporter is corroborating a Twitter conversation between a Variety and The Wrap reporters two days ago (see below), reporting that Warner Bros.’ next DC Cinematic Expanded Universe movie to go into production will be Shazam! 

THR reports Annabelle director David Sandberg will start lensing the feature from Warner’s New Line offshoot in January or February 2018 with a likely 2019 release, according to their sources. Warner Bros. had previously given Shazam! an April 5, 2019 release date. 

THR further corroborates Dwayne Johnson is not involved with Shazam! but is sill attached to star in and produce a Black Adam spinoff being developed concurrently with Shazam!

THR further reports a Suicide Squad sequel is closing in on a director and eyeing a mid-2018 production start.


Original story July 18: New Line Cinema's Shazam! is scheduled to begin production in February 2018, but without the involvement of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Black Adam - according to The Wrap's Umberto Gonzalez in a series of tweets from his personal account.

Here is the Twitter exchange between him and Variety reporter Justin Kroll:

Kroll seems to be implying Johnson is confirmed to be in production of another film during that time, probably Disney's Jungle Cruise, reportedly going into production in tthe spring of 2018, which would prevent him from starring in Shazam! assuming that's when it begins production.  

Gonzalez was the the first of three Hollywood trade journalists to report in February that director David F. Sandberg was in talks to direct Shazam!

Gonzalez goes on to say in the tweets that an unnamed "they" made him remove Johnson's name from that February story, though Warner Bros. didn't confirm or comment on the story for the record at the time.  

Kroll's Variety colleague Dave McNary also reported the Sandberg-Shazam! news a few hours later, but adding that as a result of New Line and DC Entertainment adding a spinoff Black Adam film that will focus on Johnson’s character and be developed concurrently, Johnson was "no longer attached to Shazam!

Similar content
Twitter activity