Tuesday evening Lucasfilm announced that directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were leaving the planned Han Solo film midway through filming, and now The Hollywood Reporter has reputed insight into why they are no longer with the Star Wars spin-off film.
The duo, who previously worked on Warner Bros.'s The Lego Movie and 21 Jumpstreet, reportedly clashed with screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, supervising producer Allison Shearmur, and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy. Although working off a script by Kasdan and his son Jon, Lord and Miller's "style and vision" - specifically mentioning their comedy and penchant for on-set improvisation - reputedly rubbed Kasdan the wrong way, an THR's insider claims they also had a fundamental misunderstanding of Lucasfilm's take on Han Solo.
“People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish,” said an unspecified source.
The "friction," as THR describes it, began shortly after Han Solo began filming on February 20, with things coming to a head just this past Monday when Lord and Miller were reportedly fired. The film has reportedly gon on hiatus to review what's been filmed so far, and how to move forward.
"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project," said Lord and Miller in a joint statement. "We normally aren’t fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew."
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story reportedly had similar director troubles, with co-writer Tony Gilroy brought in to film reshoots in place of original director Gareth Edwards. Fantastic Four director Josh Trank stepped down from a seperate, unspecificed Star Wars film in 2015.
The untitled Han Solo film is scheduled for release May 25, 2018.