Diamond Comic Distributors, the largest middleman between comic book publishers and your local comic book store, has announced the winners of its annual Gem Awards. Voted on by retailers who work with Diamond, the awards are to recognize “the pinnacle of sales achievement for publishers, industry executives, and creators."
"The Gem Awards give retailers an opportunity to recognize and congratulate the suppliers, titles, and products that served to help grow their businesses in 2015," said Diamond President & CEO Steve Geppi. "Our suppliers produced and published an enormous amount of top-quality titles and products that really supported retailers and the entire industry, and we thank all of the retailers who took the time from their busy schedules to vote and acknowledge those efforts."
For the third year in a row, Image Comics was voted the "2015 Comic Book Publisher of the Year (over 4% Market Share)" -- beating out Marvel and DC, whom are significantly larger and move the needle more for retailers. Prior to Image's three years dominating this category, DC held the honor from 2009 to 2012 and Marvel last won in 2008. BOOM! Studios was once again named "2015 Comic Book Publisher of the Year (under 4% Market Share)".
Image's Paper Girls #1 by Brian K. Vaughn and Cliff Chiang earned two awards -- "2015 Comic Book of the Year (Under $3.00) and "Best New Comic Series." The publisher earned two more awards (for a total of five) with "Reprint TP of the Year" going to The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 3 and "Anthology of the Year" for Island #1.
Interestingly, although Marvel easily was Diamond's largest supplier of books this year, it only won three awards: "2015 Top Dollar Comic Book Publisher of the Year," and Star Wars #1 earning both "2015 Top Dollar Comic Book of the Year" and "2015 Comic Book of the Year Over $3.00".
The full list of winners are:
2015 Diamond Gem Award Suppliers of the Year
2015 Comic Book Publisher of the Year Over 4%: Image Comics
2015 Comic Book Publisher of the year Under 4%: BOOM! Studios
2015 Backlist Publisher of the year: DC Entertainment
2015 Top Dollar Comic Book Publisher of the Year: Marvel Comics
2015 Manga Publisher of the Year: Viz Media
2015 Game Manufacturer of the Year: Wizards of the Coast
- 2015 Toy Manufacturer of the Year: Funko
2015 Diamond Gem Award Products of the Year
- 2015 Comic Book of the Year Under $3.00: Paper Girls #1, Image Comics
- 2015 Comic Book of the Year Over $3.00: Star Wars #1, Marvel Comics
- 2015 Top Dollar Comic Book of the Year: Star Wars #1, Marvel Comics
- 2015 Licensed Comic Book of the Year: Rick & Morty #1, Oni Press
- 2015 Anthology of the Year: Island #1, Image Comics
- 2015 Best New Comic Book Series: Paper Girls, Image Comics
- 2015 Best All-Ages Series: Lumberjanes, BOOM! Studios
- 2015 Original GN of the Year: Batman: Earth One Volume 2 HC, DC Comics from DC Entertainment
- 2015 Indie GN of the Year: We Can Never Go Home, Black Mask Comics
- 2015 Reprint TP/HC of the Year: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 3, Image Comics
- 2015 Licensed TP/HC of the Year: Mad Max: Fury Road TP, DC Comics from DC Entertainment
- 2015 Manga TP of the Year: Attack on Titan Volume 16 GN, Kodansha Comics
- 2015 All-Ages Original/Reprint GN TP of the Year: Lumberjanes TP Volume 1, BOOM! Studios
- 2015 Magazine of the Year: MAD Magazinefrom DC Entertainment
- 2015 Trade Book of the Year: Darth Vader & Friends HC,Touchstone Books
- 2015 Best Free Comic Book Day Book: FCBD 2015 Fight Club/The Goon/The Strain, Dark Horse Comics
- 2015 Game Product of the Year: Magic: The Gathering TCG 2015 Origins Expansion Deck, Wizards of the Coast
- 2015 Toy Product of the Year: POP! Guardians of the Galaxy: Dancing Groot Vinyl Figure, Funko
- 2015 Toy Line of the Year: POP! Figures, Funko
- 2015 Collectable Statue of the Year: DC Comics Bombshells: The Joker and Harley Quinn Statue, DC Collectibles from DC Entertainment