Warren Ellis is returning to Marvel, and he's co-piloting a series into space. On his weekly e-mail newsletter Orbital Operations, Ellis confirmed he is stepping in to co-write two issues of the Captain Marvel series with series writer Kelly Sue DeConnick. The issues, February's #12 and March's #13, were previously solicited with DeConnick as the sole writer, but Marvel confirmed to Newsarama that the solicited story will not change as a result of Ellis joining the project and DeConnick will be credited as the sole writer in April and beyond. Marvel, however, did not provide any reasons for Ellis' temporary addition.
Ellis describes their story as a "big space thing" and teases, perhaps jokingly (or not), that it would contain "a giant spacegoing water bear."
This wouldn't be the first time Ellis has teamed with DeConnick, as he joined her run on Avengers Assemble in early 2014 for several issues, and also contributed a back-up story to the first issue of her Osborn series at Marvel.
Here is the original solicited copy for these February and March issues:
CAPTAIN MARVEL #12
• Captain Marvel’s time as an astronomical avenger has pitted her against some of the worst the galaxy has to offer (lookin’ at you J’Son).
• The Haffensye Consortium has been tracking Captain Marvel and Tic for weeks. Now, they’ve finally caught up to them both!
• Captain Marvel was barely able to survive the last time she squared-off against the Haffensye – think she’ll be so lucky again?
CAPTAIN MARVEL #13
• Look out, Mighty Marvelites! In this issue, Captain Marvel faces against space swashbucklers!
• Who would you put your bets on -- Captain Marvel or a group of bloodthirsty Space Pirates?