Justice League: Throne of Atlantis has a release date. The film, featuring an animated origin for Aquaman loosely based off the New 52, will hit DVD, Blu-ray and digital on January 27, 2015.
The movie comes after the first New 52 film, where Shazam took the place of Aquaman in the Justice League lineup. The plan was in place all along for Aquaman to get his own spotlight film, it was later revealed. Ironically, Shazam, along with Green Lantern and The Flash, are left off the box art, revealed above. The official description, from the press release:
In Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, Cyborg discovers an imminent threat in the depths of the oceans so powerful that it rallies together the newly formed Justice League. Meanwhile, wandering thousands of feet above the ocean floor is drifter Arthur Curry, a man with strange powers who may be the last chance to bridge the ancient Atlantean world with our own. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the rest of the Justice League must band together as they face off against warmongering Orm, an army of sea creatures, otherworldly weapons and perilous odds. In this all-new epic adventure from the DC Universe, mankind’s only hope of escaping from the darkness lies with the guiding light of a man – Aquaman!
In addition to the release date, the full list of special features was revealed for the film. The Blu-Ray will have the following special features:
• Scoring Atlantis: The Sound of the Deep - Every great film needs a great musical score. Filled with emotion, music takes us on a dynamic journey as we adventure with the hero. Throne of Atlantis takes us on that quest through the eyes of Arthur Curry.
• Robin and Nightwing Bonus Sequence – Producer James Tucker provides video commentary for this exciting bonus sequence where Robin and Nightwing join forces.
• Throne of Atlantis: 2014 New York Comic Con Panel – The entire, lively one-hour panel discussion between actor Matt Lanter, producer James Tucker, screenwriter Heath Corson, character designer Phil Bourassa and dialogue director Andrea Romano.
• Villains of the Deep – From Ocean Master to Black Manta to King Shark, each villain operates from his own deep sense of conviction, presenting an incredible challenge for the hero in Arthur Curry, aka Aquaman. This documentary goes into the biographical details of the villains.
• A Sneak Peak at Batman vs. Robin – An advance look at the next DC Universe Original Movie with the creators and cast.
• Bonus cartoons from the DC Comics Vault
The DVD will have the Batman vs Robin sneak peak and the bonus cartoons.