AVENGERS VS. X-MEN Post Game, Week 20: Illuminati Reunion
***This article contains spoilers for New Avengers #29.***
THE BIG QUESTION:
If you're going to talk New Avengers #29, you might as well talk to Brian Michael Bendis — who, in the issue, revisited the Illuminati concept that he introduced back in New Avengers #7.
Newsarama: Brian, New Avengers #29 featured the return of The Illuminati, a concept you introduced early in your Avengers run. I'm guessing that it's not a coincidence that you went back to it as you're starting to wind things up — how proud are you of the Illuminati as one of your additions to Marvel lore, and how important was it to you to bring them back together during Avengers vs. X-Men? And as the end of your Avengers run approaches, can readers expect you to revisit a few more hallmarks from your time on the book(s)?
It's always hard to say, but I do think it will be one of the things people remember about most fondly about my time on the Avengers. It certainly is something people hadn't seen before. Every single artist who has drawn them has been a world-class artist who completely brought their everything. I think the miniseries is Jimmy Cheung's best work.
Will I be visiting other stuff like this from my runs? Absolutely. This is the last time I will be writing a lot of these characters for the foreseeable future. When I took on the X-Men I was very bummed out to hear that Spider-Woman was not a mutant.
(But is baby Cage?)
(See what I did there?)
THE BIG HITS;
- Professor Xavier has been an unhappy camper throughout AvX, and once again implies that he might (very reluctantly) take extreme measures to stop the Phoenixes: "I'm prepared to stop Scott, no matter what the cost." Foreshadowing?
- The meeting takes place at Stark Enterprises subsidiary Funtime, Inc., the same venue as the first Illuminati bro-down revealed to readers in 2005's New Avengers #7.
- Tony Stark has three doctorates.
NEXT WEEK:preview here); and Avengers vs. X-Men #3, the first issue of the main series written by Ed Brubaker since #3, plus art from Olivier Coipel (preview here). AND FINALLY: Got an Avengers vs. X-Men-related question you'd like us to ask in a future installment of the Post Game Report? Find us on Facebook or Twitter. More from Newsarama:
- Which MARVEL Characters Might JOSS WHEDON Bring to TV?
- Marvel NOW!, One Month Later: What We Know, What's Next?
- AVENGERS VS. X-MEN Post Game, Week 19: 'Til AvX Do Us Part