AvX Post Game Report, Week 9: Captain Marvel Resurrected
***If you're avoiding Secret Avengers #27 spoilers, this isn't the article for you, friend.***
THE BIG QUESTION:
For this week's question, we once again turn to Marvel executive editor and senior vice president of publishing, Tom Brevoort, to gain some insight on Captain Marvel, who, to paraphrase Death of a Salesman, appears to be worth more dead than alive.
Newsarama: Tom, Captain Mar-Vell has had multiple fake-out, near-returns over the years, from "The Return" during Civil War to a brief resurrection during Chaos War. How much did that influence the way the current Secret Avengers story was structured? Was there any reluctance in using him again here, or was it simply the right choice for the story? It seems to lend a level of meta-subtext, with several of the characters skeptical that he's the real deal. And what do you think it says of Mar-Vell's strengths as a character that he remains to be a point of interest to both creators and readers even though he's now been dead twice as long as he was alive?
THE BIG HITS:
Secret Avengers #27: More action in space with the away team, and, yes, Captain Marvel is back. Though the details are still vague and Thor, Beast and Vision are all skeptical that it's really him, it appears that he just might be the real Kree deal. That would seem like a good thing for the Avengers, but it's definitely not in this instance, as he's siding with his native race and doing what he can to keep Earth's Mightiest Heroes from interfering with what the Kree have planned for the Phoenix, along with The Protector and Ms. Marvel. Also, War Machine recovers from his painful Phoenix encounter — albeit imprisoned by the Kree along with Valkyrie and Captain Britain — and a tearful Carol Danvers kisses Mar-Vell. So, lots of stuff going on.
- Did you see the first part of our interview with Brian Michael Bendis, covering Avengers vs. X-Men and other topics? It's here!
- Kieron Gillen's Sexy Namor is getting a lot of attention during AvX, but what about Rick Remender's Badass Thor? "Seeing his proud face distorted in this way raises such a fury in my soul — I will smash his features from your skull."- Mar-Vell tells Ms. Marvel that his cancer is still present, though currently inert due to the Phoenix, which suggests that this might be another temporary resurrection. (Since we already know Carol Danvers is the new Captain Marvel as of July, not super-suprising.)
NEXT WEEK:preview here), featuring the return of artist Nick Bradshaw to the book; and X-Men Legacy #267 (preview here), with Iron Man joining the fight at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. AND FINALLY: Got an Avengers vs. X-Men-related question you'd like us to ask in a future installment of the Post Game Report? Find us on Facebook or Twitter. More from Newsarama:
- AvX Post Game Report, Week 8: From the Earth to the Moon
- AvX Post Game Report, Week 7: Occupy the Jean Grey School
- AvX Post Game Report, Week 6: WOLVERINE vs. CAPTAIN AMERICA
- AvX Post Game Report, Week 5: AVENGERS Take the Early Lead
- AvX Post Game Report Week 4: The Time For Talk Has Passed
- AvX Post-Game Report, Week 3: The War at Home
- AvX Post-Game Report, Week 2: The Battle Begins
- AvX Post-Game Report, Week 1: AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #0