Last week, a fan petition was launched to replace Star Wars: Episode IX director Colin Trevorrow with George Lucas. While Lucas hasn't commented on the idea, Trevorrow has now responded to the sentiment, and, unsurprisingly, he disagrees with the petition's assertion that he's "not the right guy" to helm the new trilogy's swan song.
"It's funny, I saw that, and it was on a day where I was at Lucasfilm giving this big speech to everyone about how we want to channel the invention and just the raw creativity and the boldness that George brought to these films and not being afraid that we're going to embarrass ourselves by doing something that might be crazy," Trevorrow said at the BAFTA Awards Season Tea Party on Saturday (via Entertainment Tonight).
"When George Lucas made Star Wars, a lot of people thought it was crazy," he continued. "When you try to pitch what that movie's about -- if you've never heard of Star Wars before, you say, ‘Here's a character. His father's part robot, but he can also do magic. And there's a guy who can fly in a spaceship. He's got a dog for a friend!' -- it sounds insane."
But the petition, now up to over 20,000 signatures, has hardly dampened Trevorrow's enthusiasm for the film.
"It's the greatest story ever told. I just want to embrace that kind of invention and creativity that [Lucas] brought to it."
Star Wars: Episode IX is scheduled for release in 2019.