Lucas Was Negotiating STAR WARS Big 3 Return Before Disney
Update March 7: On the heels of Carrie Fisher confirming she'll be back for J.J. Abrams' Star Wars VII-IX, George Lucas has told Bloomberg Businessweek that he had already begun talks with Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford to have them return to the franchise before he had even begun negotiating the deal to sell to Disney.
"We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison — or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation. So I called them to say, 'Look, this is what’s going on,'" Lucas told Bloomberg. "Maybe I'm not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them... I won't say whether the negotiations were successful or not."
Lucas also revealed that when beginning talks with Disney he had outlines written for the sequels, and required Disney CEO Bob Iger and other executives to sign non-disclosers agreements before letting them read the outlines. Iger is quoted as saying: "We thought from a storytelling perspective they had a lot of potential."
Lucas no long has final say over creative matters, with those responsibilities falling to Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy and Episode VII director J.J. Abrams, but he'll still be a voice in the process.
"I mostly say, 'You can't do this. You can do that,'" Lucas revealed. "You know, 'The cars don't have wheels. They fly with antigravity.' There's a million little pieces. Or I can say, 'He doesn’t have the power to do that, or he has to do this.' I know all that stuff."Original story: Tucked away in an interview with an area magazine, Palm Beach Illustrated, came big news for Star Wars fans who have been eager for any news of the upcoming films. Carrie Fisher confirmed to the magazine that she will be returning for Star Wars: Episode VII as Leia Organa. When asked if she could confirm whether she'll reprise the role, she responded simply "Yes," then went on to joke that Leia will be in an old folks home, still wearing the buns and gold bikini after sundown because of a mental condition.
Dark Horse Comics'
STAR WARS #2Joking aside, this is the first official casting confirmation from anyone involved with Disney's new Star Wars movie, which continues the saga under the direction of J.J. Abrams off a script by Michael Arndt. Harrison Ford, who plays Leia's love interest Han Solo in the original trilogy, has said he is "open to returning" for the new films, while Leia's brother Luke Skywalker, played by Mark Hamill, is said to be in the works as well. Leia however is the first confirmation from any of the actors, though Disney has yet to announce or confirm any casting, talks or otherwise. The new trilogy of films starting with Episode VII is largely speculated to feature the children of the original cast members, as seen in the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" of comic books, novels, and video games. In the Expanded Universe stories, Leia and Han have twin children, Jaina and Jacen Solo, who play out their own epic of light side versus dark side as two of the galaxy's new Jedi Knights, as well as a younger son, Anakin Solo, also strong in the Force. Luke, meanwhile, marries an Imperial assassin named Mara Jade, and they, too have a son named Ben Skywalker, after Obi-Wan Kenobi's moniker when he introduces himself to Luke in Star Wars: Episode IV. While Lucasfilm and Disney have said the new movies will be original stories, and not directly adapted from any books or other expanded universe content, most fans are hoping at least Jaina and Jacen will appear as the focal points. Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Got a comment? There's lots of conversation on Newsarama's FACEBOOK and TWITTER!